Friday, March 30, 2012

Kids Will Be Kids

Mom here.  When Nathanael and Savannah aren't busy saving the world and trying to find a cure for cancer, they're your regular, run-of-the-mill kids.  Nathanael is 5 1/2....that "and a half" is VERY important.  He loves building with Legos, drawing and creating anything, riding his bike, pretending he's Derek Jeter, and has a passion for his Little Dragons karate class.  The martial art taught by his Sensei (whom he adores) is Kempo, and Nathanael is working his way up to a youth orange belt.  This class has done wonders for his coordination, his athletic ability, and, most important, his self-esteem.  



Savannah is 3, and will turn 4 in May.  She loves anything Disney princess-y (Ariel and Rapunzel are at the top of the list), and anything girly, which strikes me as funny because I'm not so much the girly type.  While she definitely has some tomboy in her, anything pink and sparkly catches her eye.  Savannah is learning ballet, at her request.  She takes a beginner ballet class which focuses on movement and coordination and introducing the students to the first 3 ballet positions.  I personally think she should join her brother in karate because she has it in her to take down anyone who gets in her way, but so far she has yet to oblige.  Savannah also loves to draw and create.  Left to their own devices, the kids would spend an entire day with our craft supplies, creating their own works of abstract art.



We are a homeschooling family.  This is something I never imagined myself doing, especially when I graduated from graduate school and was ready to change the world.  Nor was it something my husband and I discussed prior to having children.  But when it came time to start looking at preschools for Nathanael, and with budget cuts leading to deficits in the quality of education, we decided to homeschool.  Nathanael is in his kindergarten year, and Savannah is in her preschool year.

I know, you're probably thinking "Homeschoolers, eh?  Hmm...."  I'd certainly be happy to answer any questions you may have, dear readers, so feel free to fire them at me.  Both kids are incredibly intelligent, both kids can read and read well, they have friends, socialize very well with their peers and adults alike, and have a deep passion for learning. They love music and the arts.  They both have a very natural talent for math, and show great interest in science and geography.  I consider it a privilege to be able to stay home to educate my children, and while we do have our difficult days, I wouldn't trade it for the world.




So, today has been a typical day in our house.  The kids watched the movie musical Annie for the first time yesterday, and Nathanael thought he'd try to escape in a pile of laundry like Annie did to get out of the orphanage.  I promise I'm nothing like Miss Hannigan!

Savannah always wakes up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed (oh, how I wish I could bottle up some of that energy!), and was very eager to show off her best buddy, Too Cute Kitty.

I have been fighting a cold, and I took advantage of the fact that my husband took the day off of work and took a little nap in the late afternoon.  Nathanael woke me up to show me the sign he had written, unprompted, while I was asleep.

And finally, after her third outfit change of the day (yes, she picks her own clothes), Savannah felt like doing some gymnastics.  If I attempted this I'd inevitably wind up in the emergency room.  Look at that hair.  She is determined to grow it long like Rapunzel's.  She looks like a wild child!


And such is a typical day in our household.  Throw in some school, some sibling rivalry, some cat vomit, and someone gluing something to something they shouldn't, and it easily be any day of the week.

And just FYI, the Kick Cancer In The Can.....  fundraiser has officially begun.  We have about $5 worth of returns so far!

2 comments:

  1. You are such amazing people. How is fundraiser 2 going?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, although we don't see ourselves that way. We're just average Joes and....Jills? :) My husband and the kids are going to check the P.O. Box for the first time today since posting about the second fundraiser, so we shall see if anyone has accepted the mighty challenge. :)

      Thanks for reading, and have a great weekend!
      -McKenzie

      Delete