Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs

Mom here.  We spent a long Easter weekend out of town with my parents, sisters, and their families.  It was a very tough, very emotional weekend.  The kids had a blast playing with their cousins from the other side of the country (also fellow Cave Crashers), but it was very bittersweet.

The kids' new favorite song from the last few weeks has been Journey's Don't Stop Believin', particularly the end, because they don't want anyone to stop believing in hope, to stop believing in the fight, to stop believing that Gran will get better.

It's spring break time around here for the schools, and, as homeschoolers, we tend to follow the public school schedule as far as days off are concerned.  Today, though, I wanted to get some reading, writing, and spelling in.

Mom:  Okay, kiddos.  Time for some work.  

Nathanael:  I'm drawing something.  Please please please can we wait until I'm done?

Savannah:  I'm ready.  Let's do it.

Mom:  Let's go, Natty.  Let's get it out of the way and then you can have your play time.

Savannah:  Yeah, let's go....Natty Bananers.  (She knows what buttons to push.  She's only 3.)

Nathanael: Do NOT call me that, Savvy-anna!  (So does he.)

Mom, losing patience:  I'm going to count to three....

Savannah: I can count higher than that.

Nathanael: I'm done anyway.  See what I drew?  It's a cancer crusher to help get rid of Gran's germs!

Mom, feeling like dirt now:  Wow, bud.  What a great drawing.  And what a great idea.  A cancer crusher.  

Nathanael:  Wouldn't it be great if we could just push a button, next to everyone with this sickness, and it just blasted the germs right out of their bodies!  When I'm 49 I'm going to invent one.

Savannah: Just like Mama!

Mom, seriously rubbing temples now: Savannah, I'm 35.  Not 49.

Savannah: April Fool!

Mom:  Ha ha.  Right.  Okay.  Let's get some work done.

Finally.  They humored me and completed their work, and when we were done I asked them if they wanted to stay at the table to draw and keep me company while I started dinner.   They both said yes, drew for a few minutes, started whispering, and then told me not to look. After maybe 20 minutes they wanted to show off their work.  Whenever the tell me not to look and then they want to show me something I get a little nervous.  This is what they were working on:     

Big bro instructed Little Sis on how to find the song on my iPod 
to make sure he spelled "believin'" the right way.

She loves her Gran, whom she used to call "Lady."  She wanted her picture taken wearing the purple flower brooch Gran gave her over Easter weekend.

This little one never ceases to amaze me.

Never ever.  

The two of them worked together on this one, but Savannah didn't want to be in the picture.  She wanted it written and asked Nathanael to write it.  She actually wanted "Cancer stinks like the cat's litter box" written, but Nathanael apparently vetoed that idea.

I know I'm biased, but I have pretty great kids.  Mom, if you're reading this, thank you for teaching me everything you did that helped me produce two amazing kids.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment