Wednesday, May 2, 2012

On pride

I believe the children are our future
Teach them well and let them lead the way
Show them all the beauty they possess inside
Give them a sense of pride to make it easier
Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be.


I realize how cliche this may be, given the recent passing of Whitney Houston, but this particular verse from Greatest Love of All has been going through my head for the last few days.  When we last checked our P.O. Box, someone included a note to me that said "It's children like yours that give me hope for our future."  As a mom, that is perhaps that greatest compliment I have ever received.  


My husband and I don't feel as though we have done anything differently than any other parents.  We love our kids.  We teach them right from wrong.  We teach them that love, honesty, and kindness and the most important virtues one can possess. These children of ours, ages 5 and almost 4, have taken what we have taught them thus far and run with it.  Every word on this blog is truly from them.  Every expression of love is unprompted.  Every expression of desire to fix the world and rid the world of "the kind of sickness Gran has" is genuinely theirs.  We feel incredibly blessed to have these two.  They're good kids.  They're not without their days, as all young children have, but the sense of pride we have for them is overwhelming, especially since the planning for the Relay has begun. They have become an inspiration to others, and have been invited to participate in other local Relays.  They have a following of celebrities, athletes, top-level professionals, musicians, and regular people like ourselves.  People are inspired by them, and I hope that, one day, they realize just how amazing that is and how amazing Daddy and I think they are.

I think I had a good teacher growing up.  My mom taught me well.  My mom taught me the importance of inner beauty and what made me unique from others.  To this day she reminds me.  She told me, and still tells me, to be proud of who I am.  I hope that I can do the same for Nathanael and Savannah, and that they grow up knowing how special they are, no matter what they do, no matter what they become.  We'll always be proud of you, kiddos.  We love you more than all the stars in the sky.   

No comments:

Post a Comment