Tuesday, May 8, 2012

On 80s Music


Nathanael, age 3.
Savannah, age 1 1/2.


Who would've thought they would turn out to love old-school 80s rock?  Much to my husband's delight, even now at 5 and 3, they love to listen and dance to the cleaner songs that we grew up with.  Thankfully, they still don't catch the meanings, whether hidden or not so hidden, behind the songs.  They get this first line or two but what really captivates them both about any music is the melody.  


The rock obsession started with Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'."  My husband happened to have his iPod on shuffle the other day, and Van Halen's "Jump" came on.  They were immediately in love.  I've heard the song
many times, but never picked up on the first line.


Nathanael did.

"I get up....and nothin' gets me down."

Nathanael: Mom!  This is a great song for the Relay For Life!"

Mom:  Why, buddy?

Nathanael:  Well, because "I get up and nothing gets me down" means people with cancer shouldn't let cancer get them down.  They can get up and fight!

Savannah:  Like Gran.

Nathanael:  I hope she doesn't let it get her down.

Mom:  You know, of all the times I've heard this song, Natty, I've never paid attention to that lyric.  I think you're right.  I think that's a great message for the Relay.  Do you know what the next line is?


Nathanael: No, not really.

Mom:  It's "You got it tough, I've seen the toughest around."  That kind of reminds me of Gran, like something she or anyone else fighting cancer could say.  Should say.  Your Gran is one tough cookie.


Nathanael:  I know she is.  I'm proud of her.

Savannah:  Me too!

Mom  I'm proud of her, too.  She's the bravest of them all.  She's roaring her mighty roar (*we just finished reading Where The Wild Things Are*) at that nasty wild thing called cancer, and we just have to keep hoping that we can help her and anyone else who may be fighting cancer to feel like they can get up and not let their sickness win in terms of getting their spirits down.  

Hey, cancer - "I ain't the worst that you've seen."  My kids are coming after you.

No comments:

Post a Comment